Gather ‘Round: An Evening of Storytelling and Song was a winter holiday concert whose proceeds benefitted the Alistair MacLeod Mentorship Program. Held on December 5 at St. Andrew's United Church, Halifax, the event featured eight writers and performers:
- hosting by Kayla Hounsell (First Degree)
- an excerpt from "Lighting Up the Dark,” written by Lisa Moore (Something for Everyone) and performed by Costas Halavrezos, former host of CBC Radio’s Maritime Noon and now host of Nimbus Publishing’s podcast, Book Me!
- an excerpt from “Wonder About Parents" written and performed by Alexander MacLeod (Light Lifting), professor at Saint Mary’s University, winner of the prestigious O. Henry Prize, and son of Alistair MacLeod
- an excerpt from The Reindeer Herder, written by Amanda Peters and performed by Stephanie Domet, novelist, co-chair of the Afterwords Literary Festival, and Peters’ former mentor in the Alistair MacLeod Mentorship Program
- musical performances by singer-songwriter Ryan MacGrath and the Halifax Gay Men’s Chorus, who previewed their holiday concert, Our Gay Apparel
Tickets for the event were $20 (or $15 for students).
The Writers' Federation of Nova Scotia is grateful to BOYNECLARKE LLP and Gordon Stirrett Wealth Management for their sponsorship of this event.