Alison DeLory is a writer, editor, publisher, teacher, and consultant in Halifax.
She is the author of two children’s chapter books, Lunar Lifter (2012) and Scotia Sinker (2015), and a story in the young adult creative non-fiction anthology Becoming Fierce: Teen Stories IRL (2014). She has written news, feature stories and essays for publications including The Globe and Mail, The Chicago Tribune, Chatelaine, Today’s Parent, Ryerson Magazine, Dalhousie Magazine, The Medical Post, Halifax Magazine, and Canadian Traveler. She is currently writing her first adult contemporary novel.
She was a finalist twice in the Atlantic Writing Competition and won prizes for her blog and poetry at Mount Saint Vincent University. Alison recently served as a reader for the 2016 CBC Creative Nonfiction Prize.
Alison has two degrees from Mount Saint Vincent University including a masters of public relations, and was editor of the alumni magazine Folia Montana there for four years. Her third degree is from Ryerson University in journalism.
Teaching writing is one of Alison's greatest passions. She has been a part-time instructor at Mount Saint Vincent University in communication studies since 2013. She also teaches a course at the Nova Scotia Community College and occasional workshops through the Writers' Federation of Nova Scotia (WFNS). She's participated in WFNS Writers In The Schools program since 2009, bringing writing workshops into more than 50 classrooms province-wide. Alison has served as council member at the Writers' Federation of Nova Scotia (WFNS) since 2009 and she is currently a member of its policy and procedures committee.
She enjoys working with emerging authors on their manuscripts, and also performs substantive, structural and copy-editing for various clients including creative writers, business writers and academics.Publications
1. Scotia Sinker. Sketch Publishing. May 2015. ISBN-10: 0994076401
2. Lunar Lifter. Bryler Publications. April 2012. ISBN 978-192700327-5
3. Some of My Parts. Fierce Ink Press, 2013, included in the anthology Becoming Fierce: Teen Stories IRL, Fierce Ink Press, 2014. ISBN-10: 1927746612
1. Canadian Progress Club Halifax Cornwallis, Women of Excellence Award, Communications and Public Affairs, 2014
2. President's Award, MSVU, 2013
3. Finalist, Atlantic Writing Competition, 2013 & 2011
4. Best Blogger, MSVU, 2011
5. Ekphrasis, Art Prompts Writing Poetry Award, MSVU, 2011