Alison DeLory is a writer, editor, publisher, teacher, and consultant in Halifax.
She's the author of an adult novel called Making it Home (Vagrant/Nimbus Publishing, 2019); two children’s chapter books called Lunar Lifter (Bryler Publications, 2012) and Scotia Sinker (Sketch Publishing, 2015), and a story in the YA creative non-fiction anthology Becoming Fierce: Teen Stories IRL (Fierce Ink, 2014).
Alison has written news, feature stories and essays for publications including The Globe and Mail, Chicago Tribune, Chatelaine, Today’s Parent, Ryerson Magazine, Dalhousie Magazine, Medical Post, Halifax Magazine, and Canadian Traveler.
Alison was a finalist twice in the Atlantic Writing Competition and won prizes for her blog and poetry at Mount Saint Vincent University. She served as a judge for the 2017 Evelyn Richardson Non-Fiction Award and as a reader for the 2016 CBC Creative Nonfiction Prize. She's been a presenting author twice at Word on the Street Halifax (2015 and 2019).
She has two degrees from Mount Saint Vincent University including a masters of public relations, and was editor of the alumni magazine Folia Montana there for four years. Her third degree is from Ryerson University in journalism.
Alison has been a part-time instructor at Mount Saint Vincent University in communication studies since 2013. She’s also taught at the Nova Scotia Community College and taught workshops through the Writers' Federation of Nova Scotia (WFNS). She participated in the WFNS Writers In The Schools program from 2009 to2017, bringing writing workshops into more than 50 classrooms province-wide. Alison has served as council member at the Writers' Federation of Nova Scotia (WFNS) since 2009.
Alison enjoys working with emerging authors on their manuscripts, and also performs substantive, structural and copy-editing for various clients including creative writers, business writers, and academics.
She is currently the Associate Director of Communications for the University of King’s College where she writes content for print and digital publications, and is editor of the alumni newsletter and Tidings Magazine.Publications
1. Making it Home.Vagrant Press/Nimbus Publishing. June 2019. ISBN: 9781771087254
2. Scotia Sinker. Sketch Publishing. May 2015. ISBN-10: 0994076401
3. Lunar Lifter. Bryler Publications. April 2012. ISBN 978-192700327-5
4. Some of My Parts. Fierce Ink Press, 2013, included in the anthology Becoming Fierce: Teen Stories IRL, Fierce Ink Press, 2014. ISBN-10: 1927746612
1. Canadian Progress Club Halifax Cornwallis, Women of Excellence Award, Communications and Public Affairs, 2014
2. President's Award, MSVU, 2013
3. Finalist, Atlantic Writing Competition, 2013 & 2011
4. Best Blogger, MSVU, 2011
5. Ekphrasis, Art Prompts Writing Poetry Award, MSVU, 2011