The Writers' Federation of Nova Scotia is seeking a part-time Communications Officer.
Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Closing Date: July 19, 2019
The Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia is seeking a creative, organized and innovative communicator to participate in the WFNS’s web redesign and brand refresh, develop and coordinate communications, and assist with membership. This is a part-time (two days a week) six-month contract position with a salary range of $14,000 to $15,000 (Step 2, 40 per cent of $36,600).
We are a membership-based, registered, not-for-profit organization with charitable status based in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The WFNS serves the professional needs of some 600+ members engaged in a diverse range of writing activities. Our work includes organizing workshops and professional development programming, connecting members to resources, promoting member events, and advocating on behalf of writers. We also coordinate literary awards, a mentorship program, and a contest for unpublished writers.
Our mission is to foster creative writing and the profession of writing in Nova Scotia; provide advice and assistance to writers at all stages of their careers; encourage greater public recognition of Nova Scotian writers and their achievements; and enhance the literary arts in our regional and national culture.
The job: Working under the Executive Director, the Communications Officer would be involved in the updating of the WFNS’s brand and redesign of the website. Familiarity with CMS Drupal is considered an asset. Other duties would include processing memberships, updating the members’ online database, researching platforms for webinars, and communicating to members and the public through the WFNS website, e-newsletter, social media and traditional media.
On a day-to-day basis, this position involves tasks such as updating the website with blog or workshop posts and program information, adding new members to the database, answering member questions—and yes, answering the phone.
The successful candidate should be enthusiastic about writing and literature, skilled in communications including using social media platforms, and experienced in website development. Superior organizational skills, a proven ability to work with others in a team setting, and a positive attitude are essential.
Your priorities in this position will be to:
- Update the WFNS website
- Research platforms for webinar delivery
- Ensure consistency of key messages to stakeholders
- Oversee membership development and ensure member needs are monitored
- Assist in general and shared office responsibilities, such as answering phone calls, maintaining electronic and hardcopy files, and other duties as required
In addition to a general knowledge of the field of writing and publishing, the Communications (Website) Officer should possess the following attributes:
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree or college diploma in the humanities, design or public relations, as well as 2 to 3 years of related employment experience. Additional employment experience will be considered in lieu of education.
- Experience in website design.
- Strong research and writing skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills; and superior organizational skills are essential.
- The ability to act with initiative and independence, as well as the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment are essential.
- Strong computer skills required. Knowledge of Microsoft Office is essential. Familiarity with Adobe InDesign, ecommerce systems such as PayPal, and CMS Drupal are assets.
- Experience in not-for-profits and arts organizations is an asset.
The workplace: This position is based in our Halifax office. We are committed to maintaining a working environment that is collegial, collaborative and supportive.
How to apply: Please send a CV and a cover letter outlining your interest and suitability for the position via email by July 19, 2019 to with “Hiring Committee: Communications Officer” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest, and will be in touch with candidates selected for an interview.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted for an interview, please advise us of accommodation measures which would enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information related to accommodation measures will be treated in confidence.