The annual Nova Writes Competition for Unpublished Manuscripts honours short-form works by unpublished Nova Scotia writers. Entry is open to all Nova Scotia residents who are unpublished in their category of entry. Five categories comprise the competition:
- Budge Wilson Short Fiction Prize ($250 prize)
- Rita Joe Poetry Prize ($250 prize)
- H.R. (Bill) Percy Short Creative Non-Fiction Prize ($250 prize)
- Joyce Barkhouse Writing for Children & Young Adult Prize ($250 prize)
- Le prix Félix Thibodeau de la forme courte (prix: 250$)
Prize winners are announced and invited to read at the Celebration of Emerging Writers in the spring following each competition period. The 2020 competition will accept entries from November 1, 2019, to January 3, 2020.
Joining the Atlantic Book Awards Society in celebrating and promoting excellence in Atlantic Canadian writing, the Writers' Federation of Nova Scotia administers and stewards four Atlantic Book Awards:
- Thomas Raddall Atlantic Fiction Award ($25,000 prize)
- J.M. Abraham Atlantic Poetry Award ($2,000 prize)
- Evelyn Richardson Non-Fiction Award ($2,000 prize)
- Ann Connor Brimer Award for Atlantic Canadian Children's Literature ($2,000 prize)
Prize winners are announced at the Atlantic Book Awards gala in the spring following each adjudication period. The submission period for the 2020 awards closed on November 1, 2019.