The Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia (WFNS) is an arts service organization founded on a collaborative philosophy: writers helping writers. This philosophy informs a complete cycle of development programming and a wide array of professional services that support the craft of writing, the business of being a writer, and the promotion of Nova Scotia writers as integral to the province’s cultural life and creative economy. WFNS has appoximately 600 members, at all career stages, who are engaged in a diverse range of forms, genres, and writing practices.
- Mission Statement: To foster creative writing and the profession of writing in the Province of Nova Scotia; to provide advice and assistance to writers at all stages of their careers; to encourage greater public recognition of writers and their achievements; and to enhance the literary arts in our regional and national culture.
- Core Values: the diversity of writers; the practice of writing; writing as a profession and a passion; community building among writers; the inherent skills and resources of our community; professionalism.
- Learn more about the WFNS
WFNS general membership is open to anybody who writes.
- Reduced registration fees for our creative writing workshops and professional development sessions
- Advanced notice of WFNS programming, including formal and informal opportunities to meet and network with local, regional, and national writers at special events and celebrations
- Eligibility to apply for our Alistair MacLeod Mentorship Program, to participate in our Manuscript Review Program, and to place a free listing in our online Service Directory
- Access to SubText, our bi-weekly email newsletter of events, opportunities and announcements, market listings, contests, awards, and more
- Access to a variety of WFNS support services, such as WFNS event space (for book launches, readings, and other events) and the private WFNS Writers' Studio (with computer, internet, and printer access)
- Borrowing privleges in the WFNS Library, which features over 2000 Nova Scotian and Atlantic Canadian books
- Voting privileges at the WFNS Annual General Meeting
Dues: Regular membership dues are $65; full-time student and underwaged membership dues are $30.
Membership is annual and fixed to the calendar year, beginning January 1 and ending December 31 of the same year. We accept membership applications and dues throughout the year, but all memberships end December 31 and require renewal the following January 1. (For example, if you join WFNS in March of 2020, you are a member in good standing until December 31, 2020. On January 1, 2021, you can renew your membership and remain in good standing until December 31, 2021.) To take fullest advantage of an annual membership, we encourage you to join WFNS early in the year. In the fall, however, we typically offer discounted memberships to account for the shorter membership duration.
Writers' Council Membership
Members who meet professional publication requirements as defined in the bylaws of the WFNS may apply for Writers' Council membership. Writers' Council members receive additional benefits, including opportunities to join our Writers in the Schools (WITS) program, to instruct WFNS workshops and sessions, and to sit on peer assessment juries. Writers' Council members are also eligible for a public Writers' Council Profile.